6 November 2012

48 hours (give or take) in venice ...

D and I arrived in Venice early yesterday evening and proceeded to ride up and down the Grand Canal with our luggage for awhile, having caught the wrong ferry and missed our stop.  But we found our B&B eventually, then ventured out for dinner and promptly got lost going both there and back (and can I just say, Venice in the dark without a map is not the easiest place in the world to navigate).  But again, we found our B&B eventually.  Eventually.  It was kind of a late night!

Everything was so much easier in the sunshine-y light of day, though.  Today (like most days) consisted primarily of wandering around and taking photos.  As a side note, we saw a girl pick up after her dog using a piece of paper and casually tossing the paper and poop right into a canal, which made me cringe when I thought of people frolicking about in the water barefoot during acqua alta.  And speaking of which, various parts of Venice were underwater for a short while today (though thankfully nowhere near as much as late last week), which I had never seen in real life before, and although the city looked as beautiful as ever, I also found it oddly sad for some reason.

Anyway, here are a few quick photos from the day.  Tomorrow we are planning to visit Burano as D has never been there before and then the day after that, we are off to Florence (my favourite city!  Yay!).







14 comments:

  1. Oh Natasha, these photos are STUNNING.....please make some prints & sell them....to me!!!

    St Marks Square under water looks amazing.

    Sounds like you are having quite the adventure....we were in Venice late October once, mist came down in minutes & it was all quite spooky. Very atmospheric though!!

    I cannot wait to see your Florence photos!!

    Bon voyage!! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you packed your wellingtons! Still, such a beautiful city. I can feel Italy just by looking at your photos. Thanks for sharing and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so jealous! i've never been to italy but i'm dying to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful photos, makes me want to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous photos. venice looks beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pictures look like paintings... they are absolutely fabulous! Hope you have a great time! Can't wait to see Florence through your eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos bring back memories for me. Just lovely!! And Florence just happens to be my favourite city of all time too! Sounds like you're making the most of everything even though your feet and legs must be getting worn out with all of the walking about :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. just gorgeous, love the last one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning, I am there and I really want to be there!! Yet as you say oddly sad.....but such beautiful work:~)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Curiously enough, the pristine cleanliness (or otherwise) of the flooding water did cross my mind when I saw your beautiful photos! Still, no one was bathing in it... I'll say again - your photos are gorgeous, partly *because* of the reflections from flood water. I can see the poignancy however because yes, it did remind me of how this little beauty is continually at the mercy of far greater forces than mankind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous photos, they look like Canaletto paintings! I loved Venice and Florence.....well I have been twice and so want to go again! Have fun! X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Venice is beautiful! I love the way you captured it. Gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, wow, wow, wow, WOW! Stunning photos. Kind of have a vintage postcard feel to them, which I love. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, the flooding! It's eerie and beautiful. I am so excited to hear about your adventures in Venice as my husband and I are heading there in a couple weeks! :)

    ReplyDelete

follow

Copyright in the content of this blog belongs to Natasha Calhoun unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.