28 November 2012

brugge | part 2 & a few totally subjective recommendations

As promised/threatened in my last post ... more photographs of Brugge!

Curiously, and apropos of absolutely nothing, I was reviewing the notes that I took on our trip and they reminded me of one our Quotes of the Day while we were in Brugge: "that's not a poop, it's a bear!" (told you it was apropos of absolutely nothing).

Alrighty then, onto the photos ...

















And now, for my Brugge favourites!

Cycling to Damme

Fabulous Greek food at The Olive Tree.  I know it may seem odd to be having Greek food in Belgium, but I love, love Greek food ...
The Olive Tree
Wollestraat 3, 8000 Brugge
www.theolivetree-brugge.com

They are two of my very favourite things, so when we walked past a cafe called Books & Brunch, we had to visit (ah, twice in one day).  Excellent coffee, excellent food, lovely service and, of course, books.  And because these things are important when you are out and about all day - good bathrooms, too!
Books & Brunch
Garenmarkt 30, 8000 Brugge

If you are looking for a Christmas hit at any time of year, visit De Witte Pelikaan.  All I can say about this store is oh. my. goodness.  It's like Christmas exploded, but in the most gorgeous of ways (be sure to venture downstairs as well).
De Witte Pelikaan
Vlaminstraat 23, 8000 Brugge

After your dose of Christmas-sy goodness, you can wander down the road to Patisserie Salon Servaas van Mullem to sit under sparkly chandeliers and indulge in miniature work-of-art cakes to the strains of classical music.  To this day, D talks about the cake that he had there.
Patisserie Salon Servaas van Mullem
Vlamingstraat 56, 8000 Brugge

Brugge (and I suppose Belgium in general, given the whole "Belgian chocolate" thing) is full of boutique, artisan chocolatiers, and we loved Depla Chocolatier in particular (plus the lady we spoke to was so very kind and friendly).  We visited a couple of times to try out their various offerings, although D still won't let me eat the pretty squares of chocolate topped with pansies that we bought - they had better still be okay, grr!
Depla Chocolatier
Mariastraat 20, 8000 Brugge

15 comments:

  1. Ahh I love Brugge! makes me want to look at my Travel photos which I've not looked at apart from Vienna! weddings take priority :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg! your photos are so insanely magical! i can't handle it! as soon as im back in london, im jumping on the next eurostar right to brugge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your photos so much, natasha. always feel like im there when i look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW that place worths a visit!! and the pics are so so so beautiful (both series!). You know how to capture the beauty from a city, from a moment. I particulary like the one with the bamboo chair on part 1 - photo 8, and the bridge on part 2, photo 8. Gorgeous Natasha!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two super lovely posts from Brugge. I've only been there once for a couple of hours. Your beautiful photos and great tips want me go back right away. Looking forward to seeing more photos from your trip! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you shared your thoughts on your favorite places in Brugge! Great photos too, it looks like you had a blast there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love all the photos in this post. You'd already convinced me that Brugge was beautiful in your last post but now I think I'll have to put Belgium on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. magic photos & if I ever get to Brugge, I'll have your recommendations on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Brugge - so many gorgeous reflections. It's a place that reminds me of cycling the wrong way down the one way system....by mistake and trying chicken with bananas for the very first time. I really must go back again..... as a grown up.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went to Brugge many years ago and I am sure it was not as pretty as the photos you have on this post. X

    ReplyDelete
  11. ah, I am in love!! I want to go there! your photographs capture Brugge so perfectly <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never been to Brugge, but your photos make me want to go. I find them rather romantic (or perhaps it's just my mood at the moment). I also like that you've included some of your 'favourites' with links so we can go visit them. Thanks Natasha ... lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for recommending us ! We're happy you liked Books & Brunch. You can follow us on Facebook too (https://www.facebook.com/Booksenbrunch)...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic series ! A very personal look on Bruges, perfect framing. And a tip for next visit: Den Elder,the old record & bookshop in de Langestraat.

    ReplyDelete

follow

Copyright in the content of this blog belongs to Natasha Calhoun unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.