22 January 2013

venice | is like ...

... eating an entire box of chocolate liqueurs in one go.
- Truman Capote

Work is somewhat kicking my butt these days and, pathetically, I am still recovering from staying up to watch the very fabulous Djokovic/Wawrinka Australian Open* match on Sunday night, which ran into the wee small hours of the morning (as it was, I didn't quite make it to the end and passed out at 1.30am).  Because, you know, sitting around and watching those two slog it out for over five hours was very tiring for me.

* also known as the time of year when many Australians - myself and my Honorary Australian included - become tennis-obsessed, only to revert to their former, tennis-apathetic selves once the Open concludes.

Anyway, the real point of all this rambling is to post some photographs of Venice.  Thinking about the city, I wondered if anyone other than a true Venetian can ever really get to know it all that well; all those alleyways and canals, the surprise of suddenly stumbling into an open piazza ... I came across this quote (apparently I am in a quote-y sort of mood this evening) and it describes the city perfectly:

No matter what you set out for as you leave your house here, you are bound to get lost in these long, coiling lanes and passageways that beguile you to see them through, to follow them to their elusive end, which usually hits the water, you can't even call it a cul-de-sac.
- Iosif Brodskij, Watermark



follow

Copyright in the content of this blog belongs to Natasha Calhoun unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.