15 February 2014

new zealand | queenstown

Ooh, it has been awhile since my last post.  Where does the time go?  Anyhoo, I am just dropping in to share some photographs of lovely Queenstown.  I took many of these shots with the Sigma Art 35mm f1.4 lens, which I bought just before we left for New Zealand.  I was a little hesitant about buying a Sigma as I love my Nikon lenses but I have to say that this lens (which is part of the brand's new-ish Art series) is really rather fabulous - super sharp and beautifully built.  I have been wanting a 35mm f1.4 lens for awhile but couldn't quite bring myself to splurge on the Nikon version, so the Sigma ended up being a great alternative (phew!) :)

The pebbly beach on the shores of Lake Wakatipu ...



The chilly night air was filled with the smell of wood fires burning even though it was the middle of summer ... !


New Zealand is well known for its large population of sheep (and all the sheep-related jokes that that entails).  In 2012, the ratio of sheep to humans in New Zealand was a little over 7:1 (in 1982, it was 22:1!  That's 70.3 million sheep, baa!).  Needless to say, little sheepies are popular souvenirs ...


Road trips in campervans are also super popular ...


Everybody raves about Fergburger but even so, I was still surprised by its insane popularity.  The place is open twenty one hours a day (!!) and there were lines out the door every single time we happened to be passing by.  We had to wait forty-five minutes for our burgers but they were pretty good and worth the wait ...


Li'l shot of Queenstown ...



Around the shores of Lake Wakatipu ...


On the morning of our departure, we raced over to the Skyline Gondola to see Queenstown from above ...


And a super quick coffee stop at Joe's Garage on our way to the airport ... 


All photographs © Natasha Calhoun

follow

Copyright in the content of this blog belongs to Natasha Calhoun unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.