25 August 2014

cinque terre | riomaggiore (the bumper post!)

I put my name on the wait list for Italian Fix's Cinque Terre in 7 Days tour but didn't give it much more thought.  I figured that if the tour was sold out, there was little chance that someone would drop out at the last minute(-ish).  But then, an email popped up in my inbox ... a place had become available, and it was mine if I wanted it.  To be honest, I wasn't certain that group travel would be for me, but after emailing the ridiculously lovely and ever-helpful Bianca, my gut feeling was that it would actually be a really great thing, and after sleeping on it for a couple of nights, I decided to take the plunge and fill in the registration form.  I thought I would die of nerves.  I actually squeezed my eyes shut (and possibly squealed) when hitting the "submit" button but then, it was done, and all that was left for me was to plan the rest of my trip around the tour.

First up, I have to say this: I cannot recommend Italian Fix highly enough.  Honestly, I had the BEST time.  We had incredible meals, visited beautiful places, and met wonderful people.  That being said, all the planned activities were optional, and we also had plenty of free time built in, which suited me down to the ground (photography time!).  As I mentioned in my last post, we spent six nights based in Riomaggiore, the southernmost of the five towns that make up the Cinque Terre.  After looking at so many photographs of the area, it felt kinda surreal to be seeing the town in real life, with its candy-coloured houses clamouring for room on the hillside, sandwiched between vineyards and the blue, blue sea.  I was in Photography Heaven.

We stayed at the Cinque Terre Residence, located at the top of Riomaggiore ...


Many hours were spent talking, eating, and drinking on this beautiful terrace overlooking the town ...


... and this was the view from my front door, eek!  I did a little happy dance :)


On our first evening, we had pre-dinner prosecco at A Pie de Ma (details at the end of the post) ...


... accompanied by this ridiculously awesome view (!!!).  I could have passed out from happiness ...


The town was so very peaceful in the early morning ...


The fruit and vegetables looked and tasted amazing (I snacked on tomatoes and fruit all week!) ...


I loved all the lovely soft colours ...


And here are a few extra shots from another early morning walk that I took around the hill at the top of town ...

Looking towards the sea ...


... and back towards the mountains ...



I spent a long time here, pondering all kinds of stuff whilst gazing out to sea ...





And that's about it!  Just a few photos :)

Riomaggiore recommendations:

A Pie de Ma - Via dell'Amore 55, Riomaggiore
A bar with one heck of a view!

Ripa del Sole - Via de Gasperi 282, Riomaggiore
A wonderful restaurant at the top of Riomaggiore (again, with a beautiful view!).  We had an incredible seafood dinner here on our first night.

Primo Piatto - Via Colombo 72, Riomaggiore
Fab, fresh takeaway pasta for a quick and inexpensive meal (loved the ravioli with walnut sauce!).

Generi Alimentari Costeve - Via Colombo 193, Riomaggiore
This is a small deli/supermarket on the main street that offers freshly-made panini with ingredients of your choice from the deli counter.  A great option for lunch :)



2 comments:

  1. I don't know what to say anymore. The place is really a photography heaven and it just made my inner wanderlust self really hungry for this kind of adventure! Glad you made it to the group tour :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! I'm glad that you took note of the names of the hotels because we didn't and I did wish we had. Your last photo is so familiar! I'm quite convinced I took a photo of the same space but standing on the other side of the passage.

    ReplyDelete

follow

Copyright in the content of this blog belongs to Natasha Calhoun unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.